Under 6s GP visit card
All children under 6 years of age living in Ireland can get a GP visit card.
The under 6s GP visit card covers:
- assessments at age 2 and 5
- out-of-hours urgent GP care
- care for children with asthma
- Medication costs and hospital charges are not covered.
To register your child you need to provide your:
- If you don’t have your child’s PPS number, contact the Department of Social Protection on LoCall 1890 927 999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply by post, download the form in English or Irish or LoCall 1890 252 919 to order one in the post
Post the completed form to:
GP Visit Card – Under 6s
PO Box 12629
Electronic GP registrations
If your GP is accepting registrations electronically, we will send your child’s details to them after you register.
If your GP is not accepting registrations electronically, you will receive an email with a copy of your child’s registration details attached.
Print this email attachment, bring it to your GP to sign and then post it to:
The National Medical Card Unit,
PO Box 11745
After you apply
Once you complete the registration process, your GP will get the details and your child will get a card within a few days.